Friday, June 4, 2010

our oldest and our youngest players

Mr Kisling receives the award of participation at the Cayo Chess Workshop .
Level 2 training in Cayo- together with the other 37 participants Mr Kissling is playing chess using the clock
.
Mr. Kisling making a presentation about his future involvement with the chess program.
Mr Kisling is now assisting with the chess classes in GPC chess club twice a week every week!
And this is his story:
Hi, have you heard about the Belize Chess Organisation? I have and even though at the sessions there are only children, for me they are all polite and helpful. I attend sessions because I want to learn the game.

My name is Lionel N. Kisling, also known as "Ali." I was born in Belize City 85 years ago. I am a widower and the father of two loving daughters.

I was educated at St. John's Anglican Boys' School and St. Michael's Anglican College in Belize City. On the eve of graduating from St. Michael's College I informed the principal that I wanted to develop a career in a trade and would be skipping graduation to seek employment in Panama. I was there for 2 years.

Upon my return from Panama, I attempted to join former schoolmates who were going overseas to take part in the war effort in England. My efforts were in vain but I nevertheless enlisted in the British Honduras Volunteer Guard. After 2 years I applied for leave of absence and went away to study to become a marine engineer. I was fortunate to realise my dream when my licence was granted by the U.S. Coast Guard. However, luck was against me because the vessel I was on was shipwrecked. Back home, I returned to the Volunteer Guard and gained employment at the Public Works Department mechanic workshop. I remained there for a few years until a more permanent position became available in the Government Information Serve as Photographer. After retiring from the Government Service, the Met Office offered me the post of Weather Observer in Belmopan. I stayed for a few years in that post when Brodies offered me the post of Assistant Manager of their Belmopan Branch. I remained there a few years before going into full retirement.

Over the years I have been involved with various service organisations, among them are: past president of the Belmopan Lions Club and past district governor of the Belize Lions District/Zone, Superintendent of the Belmopan Branch of the Fire Service, AIDS Commission, National Drug Abuse Control Council, Cancer Society, Red Cross, Hospital Auxiliary, Chairman, King's Children's Home, Ex Services League. I enjoy reading, gardening and listening to the news and religious and classical music.

I have long been interested in chess but had no one to help me. Recently, my daughter heard about the chess symposium and urged me to register. I did and that's how I became involved with chess in Belize.

and our youngest...

This is the picture of Zahira from the Halloween Chess Tournament. Tournament Directors noticed how determined and confident this 5 year old player was and we asked her parents to tell us a little bit about their daughter. Here is their story:
Zahira Clancie Chun was born 10th January, 2004. Her parents are Rosanna and Modesto Chun. She was born in Dangriga Town at the Southern Regional Hospital.
At the age of three, Zahira attended her first summer school at Hope Creek Government School, one month after she attended Holy Angels Pre-school. At the age of four years eight months she entered Infant 1 at Holy Angels Primary School. After one term, we transferred her to Hope Creek Methodist School, where she is currently enrolled.
The family was introduced to Chess by Mr. Brian Chun, of the Stann Creek Chess Association in the year 2008. At that moment we were only attending Thursday nights practice that Brian hosted to prepare his team for the National Olympiad for 2009 held in April and the Mexican games held in May. Her mom became interested and started playing the game. After a few a sessions Zahira got interested in the game and started practicing. Upon seeing this Brian then provided Zahira and her mom with a chess board and other learning materials pertaining to the game. After a few months of practice Zahira entered her first tournament on October 31st, 2009 held in Belmopan. Zahira has displayed a great likeness for the game that whenever she wins you could see that happy smiling face and when she looses she would assure her mom that she would do better on the next game. At every game Zahira is always relaxed and enthusiastic.
Besides playing chess Zahira likes to color and drawing pictures that would express her emotions. She also likes to ride bicycle and climb trees.
We as her parents fully support Zahira in her involvement in Chess and hope that she would be a role model for young Belizean children. It is also worth mentioning to parents that your child is never too young or too old to learn, just support them.

No comments:

Post a Comment